11.23.2010

Turkey Day Feast

The first year Chris and I were married we had Thanksgiving at our house.  I think it is a right of passage for newlyweds to host a big event for family.  An opportunity to prove themselves to their parents.  Unfortunately, I set the sweet potatoes on fire and that was the last time I hosted Thanksgiving.  Tomorrow we will be heading to my in-laws for turkey day and I wanted to share the recipes that I will be bringing to the party.

First up, cheesy squash casserole courtesy Paula Deen's Uncle Bubba.  I make this all the time and it is nothing short of complete cheese and squash awesomeness.  It is super easy to make and is even good reheated, which is a must for Thanksgiving dinner because you know there will be leftovers.

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 6 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
  • 1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 sleeve crackers, crushed medium to fine (recommended: Ritz)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the squash, onion, and butter until soft. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan, Cheddar, and sour cream. Add salt and pepper, to taste.

Place in the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the cracker crumbs evenly over the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.



And for dessert, caramel apple dip.  This is to die for!  I mean you can't go wrong with caramel and cream cheese.  I make brownies to go with it in addition to the apples and I am not ashamed to say that I have also been known to lick the bowl.  This to is super easy to make which earns it bonus points in my book.

Ingredients

  • 16 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

Directions

In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, or in the microwave, melt caramels with water, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. In a medium bowl, cream together cream cheese and sugar. Fold in caramel mixture. Serve immediately.

So what are your favorite Thanksgiving recipes?  Any traditions that you and your family enjoy?

2 comments:

  1. Just being with family is my best tradition

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our favorite tradition is running away so as not to spend the holiday with my husband's family. We do that at Christmas, and twice in 6 weeks is too much for any sane person to handle. So I love having some fabulous restaurant cook, serve, and clean up my holiday dinner! Soooo much more relaxing.

    ReplyDelete