My wonderful husband gave me a Kindle for my birthday/our anniversary present back in June. He also got me a cover like this one.
Well, last month Claire was "reading" my beloved Kindle and was "turning the pages" meaning she turned the Kindle and bent/broke the hooks that kept it attached to the cover. Luckily it wasn't the kind with the built in light or I would have been really upset. Instead I set out to find a super cute, less generic cover.
I searched Amazon and Etsy and saw some I liked but wasn't really in love with plus I didn't feel like spending another $30 on a cover. Then I had the idea to make my own cover. I mean how hard could it really be?
I used this tutorial from NoodleHead as a starting point and just adjusted it to the size that I needed. My main concern was that it be durable enough to protect my Kindle. That's when I had the idea to reuse the broken cover and put it inside my little clutch. All I had to do was cut out the little prongs, which was a little trickier than I had thought but not impossible.
I followed the clutch tutorial using my own measurements and before I sewed the lining shut I simply put the cover inside and surrounded it with some fluffy fabric for extra cushion and closed up the lining. When it was finished, I had this,
Best of all the total cost was $0 because I already had all of the stuff. I love being crafty!