9.13.2011

Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle

My wonderful husband gave me a Kindle for my birthday/our anniversary present back in June.  He also got me a cover like this one.


Well, last month Claire was "reading" my beloved Kindle and was "turning the pages" meaning she turned the Kindle and bent/broke the hooks that kept it attached to the cover.  Luckily it wasn't the kind with the built in light or I would have been really upset.  Instead I set out to find a super cute, less generic cover.

I searched Amazon and Etsy and saw some I liked but wasn't really in love with plus I didn't feel like spending another $30 on a cover.  Then I had the idea to make my own cover.  I mean how hard could it really be?

I used this tutorial from NoodleHead as a starting point and just adjusted it to the size that I needed.  My main concern was that it be durable enough to protect my Kindle.  That's when I had the idea to reuse the broken cover and put it inside my little clutch.  All I had to do was cut out the little prongs, which was a little trickier than I had thought but not impossible.

I followed the clutch tutorial using my own measurements and before I sewed the lining shut I simply put the cover inside and surrounded it with some fluffy fabric for extra cushion and closed up the lining.  When it was finished, I had this,




Best of all the total cost was $0 because I already had all of the stuff.  I love being crafty!

~ Andrea

1 comment: